The Nigerian Correctional Service has confirmed the attack on its facility in the Kuje area council of the Federal Capital Territory.
HausaToday had earlier reported that terrorists invaded the facility late on Tuesday to free some of their members.
The spokesman to the service, Umar Abubakar while reacting to the incident said an armed squad of the service in collaboration with other security agencies responded to the attack.
Abubakar in a statement released in the early hours of Wednesday said calm has returned to the area.
The statement was titled, “Medium Security Custodial Centre, Kuje attacked by gunmen.”
It reads, “I wish to confirm that at about 2200hrs, some yet-to-be-identified gunmen attacked the Medium Security Custodial Centre, Kuje, in the Federal Capital Territory.
“However, men of the Armed Squad of the Nigerian Correctional Service and other security agencies attached to the Custodial Centre have responded and calm has been restored to the facility and the situation is under control.
“Other details will be made available soon.”