The Chief of Defence Staff, General Lucky Irabor, has said the military is doing its best to ensure the safe rescue of the remaining victims of the Abuja-Kaduna train attack.
HausaToday recalls that over 60 persons were kidnapped and others killed during an attack on the Abuja-Kaduna-bound train on March 28, 2022.
Speaking during a media parley on Tuesday in Abuja, Irabor said that the military and other security agencies remained committed to rescuing the remaining passengers in captivity.
The Defence chief said following the military air operations, many bandits’ leaders along with their fighters have been neutralised in the North West.
He particularly disclosed that the military, on August 6, killed a notorious bandit leader, Alhaji Abdulkareen and his fighters in the region.
He said the military had intensified both air and ground operations to deal with criminals in all parts of the country, adding that several successes had been recorded in recent times.
Irabor said the essence of the media parley was to solicit understanding and support from the media in the fight against the security challenges bedevilling the nation.
He, however, called for greater cooperation between the military and the media to find solutions to the security challenges and disallow enemies from stoking fears in the minds of the public.
The Defence chief also urged Nigerians and political leaders to understand the distinction between military operations and politics, adding that the military remained undaunted in ensuring a safe and secure nation.