Everyday News

What Aregbesola Said About Kuje Prison Attack


The Minister of Interior, Rauf Aregbesola, has reacted to the terror attack on Kuje Medium Correctional Center in Abuja on Tuesday night.

Recall that the Islamic State West Africa Province (ISWAP) terrorists had invaded the prison facility and released not less than 600 prisoners.

In a statement on Thursday by his spokesman, Sola Fasure, Aregbesola condemned the attack on the federal facility which claimed the lives of four inmates and an officer of the Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps (NSCDC).

The minister stated that appropriate actions would be taken if complicity is established in the ongoing investigation into the attack on the facility.

According to Aregebsola, the federal government would ensure that the attackers and the escaped inmates are captured and returned to custody.

The minister said after the attack on a correctional facility in Oyo state in October 2021, steps were taken to improve security around correctional centres.

He, however, added that the correctional facility formations have been directed to “fortify” centres across the country to prevent future invasions.

The statement reads: “After the Abolongo, Oyo State, attack on a correctional facility, in October last year, it became apparent that a new form of attack for which our system was unprepared for had emerged. Our system was primed to prevent and foil internal disturbance and riots, not external attacks/invasion, since the facilities were usually built around police and military formations,” the statement reads.

“The minister then directed that the NCoS urgently work with other security agencies to fortify all correctional centres in the country and insulate them against future attacks, among other measures introduced.

“This was carried out, as well-armed soldiers, police and Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps (NSCDC) officers were drafted to our facilities nationwide, to secure them against further attacks. Several but unsuccessful attempts were made to attack our facilities since then, as the armed guards repelled them on each occasion.

“We are working with the Ministry of Defence and the Office of the National Security Adviser as well as other intelligence and security agencies to ensure that the attackers and the escaped inmates are captured and returned to custody.

“As we speak, security personnel are combing the whole area, up to a distance of 100 kilometres radius, looking for them. All checkpoints nationwide have been put on alert. More than 400 of them have been brought in and more are still coming.

“The Minister has directed that all correctional facilities in the country be fortified; that all personnel be vigilant and alert, to avoid recurrence.

“The Minister has directed that full investigation into the incident be carried out and he should be briefed as soon as possible. If any complicity is established, the Minister has promised that appropriate actions would be taken.

“He also urged the public to report any suspicious occurrences or persons in their neighbourhoods, and asked medical personnel to treat and then immediately report anyone with gunshot wounds to the law enforcement agency.”

Our Telegram Channel

DanZubair

Multilingual Blogger, Website and Graphic Designer, Gobir Enthusiast, GTE at WordPress Hausa. I am Abdul Mailahiya Hausa by name, Founder- Operator at Bago Technologies. My hobbies are reading, travelling and discovering.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.