The Islamic State in West Africa Province (ISWAP) terrorists yesterday claimed responsibility for the daring attack on Kuje Medium Correctional Centre on Tuesday.
HausaToday had earlier reported that terrorists on Tuesday night invaded the facility and released not less than 600 prisoners.
A further report had it that terrorists released 15 members of the group that masterminded the Abuja-Kaduna train attack early this year.
The terrorist sect, in a video released on Wednesday night, showed some of its men shooting their way into the facility.
It was gathered that the correctional centre is usually guarded by an elite unit of combined security forces. Still, reports claimed that most security personnel were redeployed and replaced 24 hours before the unfortunate incident.
Speaking to The PUNCH, an official of the Nigeria Correctional Service (NCoS) said the attack was successful because the soldiers were newly deployed to the prison facility.
The officer said, “I think why the attack was successful was because they just brought new military personnel, and they are yet to settle down. Also, our men didn’t quickly get the reinforcement needed to repel them; it was after they left that we started receiving help. “
Also, a security source told the publication that the standard security protocol dictates that the vicious commanders should not be kept together in a detention facility.
He added, “Such vicious terrorist commanders are not supposed to be kept together at a facility. They should have been kept in twos in different states to make it hard, if not impossible, for their compatriots to rescue all of them at a go.”